The song that has taken the nation by storm has been scaling new heights with each passing day. MERCY, rap star’s Badshah’s first single, which was officially released on 1st April on Sony Music India’s YouTube channel, has clocked up 25 million views since its release and was the third most watched video within 24 hours, globally.
A feat that is a first for a pop song just speaks volumes on how the song has been loved by fans globally.
“I am just amazed and humbled. This is totally not what I had expected,
25 million views and the most popular song globally is just awesome. There is such
great music out there and when fans pick this song and give me so much love, I just
want to join my hands and thank them for it,” Says Badshah.
The Indian film fraternity has also been showering the single with much love, from the likes of filmmaker Karan Johar, Bollywood actor Varun Dhawan and why This
Kolaveri Di composer and singer Anirudh Ravichander.
Composed and sung by Badshah, the music video features the gorgeous and super
talented dancer Lauren Gottlieb. From being the first song to be shot at London’s O2 Arena to watching Badshah and Lauren dance on the wing of a Boeing, MERCY is quintessentially cool.
The single’s infectious rhythm and electronic influences hints at the album being packed with Badshah’s entire persona into one.
Asian World Speaks to the Badshah about his journey so far.
- Tell us about the song? When did you think of it?
- The song is called MERCY and I began writing this sometime last year. I did put it out to my fans earlier to get their feedback on what they thought of it.
- Why is it called MERCY?
- The song is about how a girl and a guy who meet at a club and from there on sparks fly and they fall for each other. I am basically asking the girl to have mercy on me as she is super gorgeous.
- Where was the video shot?
- It’s been shot at London’s immensely popular 02 Arena and on a Boeing. The weather was just not conducive when we shot this which was sometime in December. I had this idea at the beginning when I was working on this song and when I had my first chat with Ben Peters (video director) he totally understood my vision. It was an amazing experience shooting there and I really hope my fans like it.
- This song is a total party track; did you create this keeping the same in mind?
- MERCY as a song is what you want it to be, it could be a party track that gets you to get up and dance, it could be a romantic song, the song that you sing to your girl or even a song for a long drive.
- Tell us about your album
- O.N.E. – Original Never Ends is an endeavor by me and my label to give my fans originals. It’s been long since I have released something on my own. My last was DJ Waley Babu, which is still getting played at clubs and parties and since then my fans have been consistently asking me for new music. O.N.E. is an intention to give them exactly that. I am where I am because of them and therefore I believe an entire album with my originals is my way of thanking them.
- How many songs will you release prior to releasing the album O.N.E.?
- There will be a second single midyear and the album by the end of the year.
- What is the sound for the album O.N.E.?
- The sound has electronic influences and will have array of genres.
How many songs will the album have?
- MERCY is the first in a series of songs and videos that we will be releasing throughout 2017. Prior to the album we will have 1 or 2 more while the album will have 6-8 songs.
- Will all the songs be party songs?
- No, it will have different genres. From party, love ballad to progressive and dance.
- Are we going to see any collaboration?
- There is a huge possibility but nothing has been finalized yet.
- Will any of these songs feature in Bollywood films?
- Why not, if any producer wants the sound, I will be happy to work along.
- Will you approach Dharma Productions with this song?
- (Laughs) Karan Johar has been extremely supportive and I would love to work with him.
- Your last release is with Sonkashi Sinha for the film Noor – out in cinemas on 21st April, will we see more such collaboration?
- Yes though I can’t talk about it much now but it will happen.
- Any Bollywood projects you are working on?
- There are a few in the pipeline, God has been good, and my work is getting appreciated.
Badshah’s sensational new song MERCY from his forthcoming album O.N.E. is out now and available to buy on iTunes