Citroën premieres a new-generation SUV at the 2017 Shanghai Motor Show: C5 Aircross. Inspired directly by the Aircross Concept that was unveiled in 2015, it combines assertive design with interior space for the well-being of everyone on-board. A ‘people-minded’ SUV, this new model benefits from the latest technologies that ensure easier driving and a modern approach to comfort. New C5 Aircross represents an important milestone in the development of the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme. This is the world premiere of a revolutionary new suspension system with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions™, which delivers a uniquely smooth and comfortable ride that is typically Citroën. The New C5 Aircross is scheduled to launch in China in the second half of this year and in Europe in 2018.
The all-new C5 Aircross SUV is scheduled to launch in China this October, followed by Europe in the second half of 2018. The SUV trend has swept the world and now accounts for almost one quarter of global vehicle sales. To help target a range of international markets, New C5 Aircross marks a new stage in the brand’s product strategy.
Representing a significant step in the development of the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme, New C5 Aircross is the first vehicle to be equipped with a new suspension system with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions™. This system delivers improved damping for exceptional ride comfort that is synonymous with Citroën.
Citroën is paving the way with a new generation of SUVs with more personality and ease of use for everyone on-board. New C5 Aircross stands apart with its unique, dynamic and confident appearance, inside and out. The high bonnet line, 2.73m wheelbase, short overhangs, flowing organic lines and strong graphic features, convey a bold and comforting identity. The brand is once again demonstrating its capacity to make a statement about its unique identity and its ability to renew established codes in any segment.
Inside, welcoming seats, a wide and tall central console, and soft and warm materials enhance the feeling of protection and comfort. Taking advantage of the EMP2 platform, this new car offers intelligent architecture and enhanced well-being on-board. The available space is open and full of light, thanks to the panoramic sunroof. There are front heated seats with massage functions and welcoming rear seats with extra leg room. The atmosphere inside the car is even purified thanks to air quality treatment.
Equipped with a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and an 8-inch HD touchscreen, New C5 Aircross also features a wireless inductive charging function for smartphones as well as an array of cutting-edge driving aids, including Active Safety Brake, Active Lane Departure Warning and Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop Function. The car even features Grip Control and Hill Assist Descent Control to help you enjoy an off-road adventure in complete safety. New C5 Aircross will also be the first Citroën available with PHEV Plug-In Hybrid technology.
“The New C5 Aircross is the symbol of a brand with strong momentum, in touch with the expectations of customers in regions all over the world. It is the first practical illustration of our offensive on the SUV market, illustrating our ability to approach it in our own way, with greater emphasis on character, comfort and on-board well-being. New C5 Aircross will clearly be a major growth driver for Citroën.” Linda Jackson, Citroën CEO
01 - DESIGN: A DYNAMIC AND ASSERTED SUV
The styling of New C5 Aircross is entirely in-line with the Aircross Concept that was presented at the Shanghai Motor Show in 2015. The Aircross Concept was applauded for its colourful personality, unique stance and bright interior. Now translated into production form, the styling and size (4.50m long, 1.84m wide and 1.67m tall) place New C5 Aircross right at the heart of the SUV C-segment.
New C5 Aircross conveys a sense of confidence and a dynamic presence: a new form of expression in the world of SUVs. With its floating roof, black windscreen pillars and rear quarter-lights that flow seamlessly into the rear window, New C5 Aircross has a strong, contemporary, stylish identity.
The wide, imposing front end clearly expresses the identity of Citroën, with the chevrons and full-LED light signature as part of the prominent grille. The long, tall bonnet with its marked contours immediately brings to mind the Aircross Concept with cleverly positioned protection on the lower part of the front bumper, highlighting the robust strength and durability of this protective, go-anywhere vehicle.
- Among the SUV fundamentals, the protective panels on the lower body and wheel arches are enhanced with the graphic contours of the Airbump® inserts, which include a splash of colour to bring modernity and character to New C5 Aircross.
- The window line is highlighted by a C-shaped, chrome-finished signature for a very original side view.
- The four 3D LED oblong modules making up the rear lights on each side of the car are easily recognisable, striking and eye-catching, emphasising the width of the car.
- New C5 Aircross also makes a statement in terms of personalisation. The range of exterior colours adds to the status of the car: there is timeless Pearl White, Perla Nera Black, Platinium Grey and – above all – Volcano Orange, which is a bold new shade close to the original colour of the Aircross Concept. Two bright and fashionable metallic touches are available to bring more personality and elegance to the car: in red or silver. These subtle touches contrast with the exterior bodywork by underlining the roof bars, adding refinement and elegance to the floating roof. These colours can also feature on the lower air intakes of the front bumper and the Airbump® sections on the front doors.
- The scoops on the front and rear bumpers, and the rear spoiler, underline the car’s aerodynamic lines, further enhancing the expressive, dynamic character of New C5 Aircross.
New C5 Aircross is available with a choice of 17, 18 or 19-inch wheels, the two largest being diamond-cut alloys for an executive finish with real visual impact.
“Faithful to the Aircross Concept, unveiled two years ago in Shanghai, New C5 Aircross is Citroën’s take on the SUV world. Featuring our clearly identifiable style markers, it is a powerful, modern vehicle whose unique stance sets it apart in the SUV market.” Alexandre Malval, Citroën Design Director
A GENEROUS & MODERN CABIN
The cabin of the New C5 Aircross conveys a strong suggestion of comfort as soon as you open the doors. The high driving position and the stylish, welcoming interior are totally coherent with the exterior styling. Adopting the same design themes as the cabin in the Aircross Concept, New C5 Aircross is attractive, practical and functional. This SUV expresses Citroën’s DNA in full.
- Curved, flowing lines contrast with striking graphic touches throughout the interior. For example, the dashboard features double air vents to underline the strong, muscular character of this SUV. On the driver’s side, there is a 12.3-inch digital display cluster. In the centre, the air vents and the 8-inch HD touchscreen form a perfectly integrated unit.
- The tall, wide centre console features soft materials and generous storage. There is also a wide central armrest with an array of practical storage compartments.
- To suggest space and comfort, New C5 Aircross adopts the sofa-inspired seating of the C4 Cactus, but approaches it in a new way, in keeping with the world of the SUV.
- The cabin is bathed in light, thanks to the generous panoramic sunroof and glass right around the car.
- The vehicle features Citroën colours and materials, tailored to the SUV segment. The materials are attractive, soft to the touch and generously padded where they come into contact with the driver and passengers. New C5 Aircross is available with a wide choice of materials, from 3D woven mesh to Nappa leather, personalising the interior ambience to suit the customer’s wishes, from casual to executive. The seats of New C5 Aircross feature stylish top-stitching, an interior signature for Citroën vehicles. This pattern can also be seen on the door panels with original chrome-finish inserts
- Inspiration from the world of travel and luggage was first applied to C4 Cactus, and has since been adapted in a variety of forms from one segment to the next, particularly on the C6 launched in China last year (and only available in China). This idea is illustrated on New C5 Aircross by the chic, re-designed door handles and by the strap on the dashboard strip, facing the passenger.
The opulent, generous interior of New C5 Aircross was designed for a simple, relaxed driving experience, reassuring occupants through its rational layout, intelligent design and quality of build.
02 – COMFORT: A UNIQUE SIGNATURE AMONG SUVS
A perfect alliance between comfort and technology, New C5 Aircross is leading the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme. This is a modern, global vision of comfort that dictated all of the choices made during the development process of this new car – taking account of the many aspects of on-board comfort: physical and mental, static and dynamic, visual and audio.
DRIVING COMFORT: THE MOST COMFORTABLE SUV OF ITS TIME
New C5 Aircross premieres Citroën’s new suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions™. The ability to develop comfortable suspension systems has been part of the brand’s DNA for almost 100 years. Customers have become attached to the comfort delivered by Citroën, which is unlike anything else on the market. Drawing upon its experience and the know-how of its engineers, Citroën has developed a new suspension system to improve damping quality and overall ride comfort. Twenty patents have been filed as part of the development of this new suspension system. Whereas a conventional suspension system is made up of dampers, springs and mechanical bump-stops, the new Citroën system adds two hydraulic stops to each suspension unit – one for rebound and one for compression. In this way the suspension functions in two steps, depending on input;