less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
These simply spiced potatoes are one of the most popular Indian side dishes. Serve as part of any Indian meal, although they are particularly good with chicken or vegetable curries.
- 4 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 pinches of chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 350g/12oz potatoes, boiled and quartered
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat setting.
- To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few mustard seeds if they pop the oil is ready. Then add the remainder of the mustard seeds.
- Add the chilli and turmeric powders to the sizzling seeds, and salt to taste.
- Fry this pungent mixture of oil and spices for 1 minute then add the potatoes. Fry for about 4 minutes until the potatoes are smothered in seeds and appear to have crispy edges. They will look quite yellow in colour. Cover the pan and on a low heat, cook the potatoes for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.